Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Headaches Continue

Jo spent another tough day at Sky Ridge today. I did get a chance to talk to Dr. Alvarez and get his thoughts. They have found 2 small blood clots in veins in the back of Jo's neck. According to the neurologist, the blood clots look to be a couple of months old, but Dr. Alvarez thinks they are related to her hip surgery two weeks ago. Jo is always at risk when it comes to blood clots, but especially when she has her surgery since she has to stop taking her blood thinners and then start again after the surgery.

The other possibility is that the headaches are spinal headaches that have been caused by a problem with the Intrathecal Morphine she received two weeks ago. As I understand it, the needle that delivered the Morphine to her spinal cord may have caused a "leak" and her spinal fluid is slowly leaking out. There is a procedure that can be done to attempt to "plug" the hole, but Jo cannot have that procedure until the blood clots are addressed.

Jo has been receiving medicine to break up the blood clots all day. Off and on, she feels some relief and other times the headaches are pretty intense. These blood clots are extremely serious and Jo will most likely stay in the hospital for anywhere from 3 to 4 more days or even a week.

10 comments:

Carol said...

Hi, Jo and Tim. We always think of you and how strong you both have been throughout this ordeal. We always miss you at events and even though we don't see enough of you, you are always there in spirit. XX Carol

Anonymous said...

Jo & Tim
I have rounded up all of the Line Dancing Guardian Angels and we are dancing around you "Shining our Little Lights" and holding a Jo Thompson-Szymanski prayer vigil. With our Love and strength you will overcome this setback! JAM

Anonymous said...

Just know that others in the Denver dance community care and are praying for you.

Unknown said...

God Bless You Jo, you are in our prayers TGIF Country Dancers/Ginny Allen

Anonymous said...

Jo - I am praying for you.

Love - rms

Anonymous said...

Thinking - No More Headaches!!!
We love you Jo and hope for a speedy - get the heck out of the hospital recovery - asap.
Michael & Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, I did not realize all this was going on with you (I just finished reading all the way down). I only pray for you to have a speedy recovery. I am facing hip replacement surgery April 27th and have been unable to walk with out a walker since January. I hear only good things about this surgery. Your daughter is beautiful.
Best wishes always, Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Jo, Tim & Family.
From across the oceans, a long ago acquaintance is thinking of you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I remember our chats on the phone when you lived in Nashville, Jo, so I pray you'll get out of the hospital and spend more time at home!!

Love

Jess
(a friend of Joanne B.)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jo,
You're in our prayers always, and may thoughts of your beautiful daughter and wonderful husband help you through this difficult time. God bless you and help you feel better soon...love & hugs, Rosie & Bruno

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo - This is Ginie Sayles. To refresh your memory, I interviewed you for a pageant book when you won Miss Texas and my husband, Reed, was with me. The picture of you and your daughter at Starbucks lets us know you are still as beautiful as ever - and a crown contender to this day.

You have a fine husband. A fine husband is one of the greatest gifts in life. As for you, Tim - my husband and I both appreciate the kind of man, husband, father you are. You never bring attention to yourself; but your steadfast presence is evident.

A recent story on CNN revealed that people who may not even know large numbers of people are praying for them often have inexplicably good results. Cleary you have many prayer warriors on your side - and you can consider us in that corp as well. Drink all the love into you and feel the strength of it. Love, Ginie & Reed Sayles